Sunday, January 23, 2011

mint and avocado smoothie


While experimenting with green smoothie recipes, I read that as long as you maintain a proportion of 60 percent fruit to 40 percent vegetables, the fruity flavors will conceal those of the vegetables. Since I often forget to incorporate a healthy dose of greens in my daily diet, I've started adding a handful of greens to all my smoothies. I've found that the 60-to-40 proportion holds true for the most part, especially if you are using more neutral greens like spinach (more potent greens like alfalfa and broccoli sprouts have proved a little trickier).

This recipe combines the detoxifying properties of spinach, avocado, and apple in a beautiful, electrifyingly green smoothie. My approach was to mask the bitterness of the spinach behind the acidity of lemon juice, the richness of avocado, and the freshness of mint, turning it into a smooth, restorative, and healthful shake.

Ingredients
1 cup spinach
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/2 cup of frozen mango
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 an avocado
a handful of mint leaves
1 tsp flax (optional)
1/4 cup water

Method
Combine all ingredients in a blender. If necessary, turn off the blender occasionally and use a spoon to push down the ingredients into the bottom of the blender. If you are having trouble getting a smooth consistency, feel free to add a splash of water or your favorite juice.

(serves 2)

7 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

Yum! I've been wanting to try avocado in a smoothie or ice cream for a while now, this recipe sounds delish!

Kulsum said...

This is perfect. I think I shd do this when I reach home today before my avocado's GO bad!

Mirabella said...

Thanks Kulsum, I hope you like it!

Best hand blender said...

The other answers are all correct, but they all have missed the simplest answer: Mash up some of the beans and liquid and stir them back into the soup. You could use a hand potato masher, but if you used a Top 10 Best Hand Blender Reviews or a regular blender and puree some of the beans and the broth, you will get a creamy liquid that will mix back into your soup and thicken it without changing the flavor at all. If you need it a little thicker, just blend up a more beans and broth until your desired consistency is reached.

Anonymous said...

4 YEARS HIV BREAKTHROUGH
I have been leaving with HIV for the past 4 years now, until God intervene and I was cured with the help of this great herbal doctor which name is doctor Ahmed Usman who I was referred to by a friend of mine who was cured from diabetes. I contacted the doctor and he assured me that I will be cured with my faith. He told me his method of preparation and delivery which I followed and after preparing his herbal medicine he sent it to me which I received three days later through UPS delivery service, and with the herbal doctor prescription I took the Herbal medicine for 21 days and I discovered a huge different on my health, the signs and symptoms I used to have were cured and after concluding the Herbal medicine I went for HIV test and my result was confirmed Negative with no trace of the virus on my blood, I use this medium to advice any one leaving with the deadly virus to please contact doctor Ahmed for his or her cure before it's too late, there is cure for HIV I am a leaving witness, you can contact the doctor through his official email address; drahmedusman5104@gmail.com. he has Herbal medicine for Herpes Virus

Unknown said...

I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

william Isabella said...

THE MAN GOD SENT TO HELP ME IS DR EBOSELE.

It is said that when someone has done good for you he or she has to be appreciated this is why i am here to appreciate and share a good news about DR EBOSELE for curing me from the Genital Herpes. i have been dealing with HSV1 AND SINCE 2019 until 2021 when i come to contact the God sent man DR EBOSELE who gave 2 weeks treatment and suddenly all the pox on my skin left and am herpes free with the cure from EBOSELE SOLUTIONS . with this great happiness in my heart i wanna ask ya all to join me thank him and if anyone need help to cure any kind of disease or anything prayers kindly contact him today via his details below:
Email; eboselesolutions@gmail.com,
Whatsapp/call; +2348146646995
cureforherpesnow665.blogspot.com